Sunday, January 6, 2008

Tag...I'm it

Amy (Max's mommy) tagged us for 5 things you don't know about me:

1) The only "foreign" country I have been to is Canada. Beautiful scenery, you don't have to learn another language, a favorable exchange rate...what more could you ask for???

2) In college, I was part of a research group that synthesized and studied the electrochemistry of Rhenium tricarbonyl compounds. The compounds luminesced (glowed) under a black-light, and the interest we had was in developing them as molecular sensors. Many of these compounds had never been made before (and possibly not since?).

3) I decided to apply to optometry school spur of the moment my last (5th!) year of college. I was in a panic because I had absolutely no idea about what career path I wanted to pursue after graduation (I kinda got burnt out on the whole research lab scene). Where better to procrastinate than graduate school? So I put in my observation hours, took the optometry admissions test, applied to three schools, and decided if I got accepted to one of them then it was meant to be. I guess it was...here I am 10 years later.

4) After one of our very first dates, Jeremy and I were watching TV on the couch at my place. I don't remember exactly how it came up, but Jeremy told me about a dirt-biking accident he was in several years earlier. He broke his right ankle, and had to have pins put in it. The "broken" side is thicker--not in an "Oh-my-God-what-happened-to-you" sort of way, but if you are looking the asymmetry is definitely there. I remember the thought going through my mind: "I don't know if I can be with someone who has an ankle that is bigger on one side." It seems really shallow--not to mention a little ironic--now, but at the time it was a legitimate concern. I made the mistake of confessing this thought to Jeremy a couple of years later...I don't think I will ever live it down!

5) I am left handed, but I use scissors and a computer mouse with my right hand (so in theory I can surf the net and take notes at the same time). If I learn how to do something first with my right hand, then it always feels awkward if I try to do it left handed, even though I am much more coordinated on the other side. For example, it took my right hand forever to "get" double-clicking...

I am tagging Julie C., Catherine D., Sheila A., Jen K., and Jenn M.

2 comments:

Crystal M. said...

Sarah,
I am left handed also and I pretty much only write with it and I do everything else with my right too. I bat right handed throw a ball right handed...its kind of funny.
Have great week,
Crystal and Eva

Mary said...

Sarah,

I, too, am left handed but use scissors, bat, throw, etc. with my right hand. I think it is probably because my parents were both right handed and taught me. I have observed and I believe I pretty much can eat as fluently with one hand as the other. :-)