Sunday, March 9, 2008

Evan meets the potty...

Jeremy and I are anticipating potty training Evan will be a lenghthy process. Obstacles abound--communication issues, the night-time tube feeding (I don't think it would be possible for him to stay dry at night until he's not having 500 mL of liquid pumped through him). Having said that, I don't want to delay starting simply because we think he will be in diapers longer than a typical child.

I bought Evan a potty chair today. I have had my eye on this particular model for a while now--I like that it has a nice, broad base that will help Evan feel secure sitting on it, and that with the top down it can be used as a step-stool (it can hold up to 300 lbs!).


(Although this isn't meant to be a sales pitch, if any fellow moms out there are interested go to www.booninc.com. I found the "Potty Bench" at Babies-R-Us, but per the webpage Target and various baby boutiques carry it also).

Here are some pictures of Evan's first time sitting on the potty chair--the lid is down and his diaper is on. Baby steps--he absolutely would NOT sit on it with his diaper off!


Evan was more interested in opening and closing the lid than actually being on the potty. But all in all, it was a good first experience.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah & Jeremy,
Evan looks like he is saying "Hey, Mikey, I like it!" What a great looking first potty. I remember your first experience with your little dainty potty, but I won't share at this time. Funny how those events, a mother remembers forever. Glad you made it home just fine and good to hear that the boys are getting healthy again.
Love, Grandma Key

Crystal M. said...

Good luck with everything, I do not think Eva is even close to start since we have almost no communication and she can hardly sit by herself.
Good thinking ahead tho, you just have to work alittle bit everyday with it.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Aahh, the fun of potty training! Good idea to get a head-start at it. At 6, we are still working on it! Of course, we haven't been the most consistent or persistent about it, though. That's our big goal for summer.

Love your new potty chair, Evan--really cool!

Hugs,
Leslie & Katie

Shelly and Luke said...

I've thought for a while now about buying a potty chair for a Luke, but haven't yet. Yours looks like a really good one, I'll have to check it out. At least Evan's having fun and liking it even though the diaper stays on. If you think about it, the whole idea probably seems kind of weird to a two year old. What's the point in sitting on his brand new chair with no diaper? Good luck with the pottying!

Amélie said...

wow love this it looks very robust and funky...like Crystal, Leslie and others it is years away for us many many years I think!!

Good luck with it though I remember my three other girlies and the good old potty days well....AAARRRGGGHHHH